Monday, March 7, 2011

What is New is Old Again

I shut down my old blog, "The Blog That Shall Not Be Named", a short time ago. I was just feeling constrained by it, or at least the person I was when I started the blog. The name of this blog comes from Philip K. Dick's A Scanner Darkly. It is a fictional species of flower that forms the destructive drug in the book known as "Substance D". The meaning of the name can be translated as "the death of the knowledge of self". (Ontology is the philosophical study of "of that which is" or investigating the nature of existence and being. In my early 20's I thought it would be cool to be a professional "Ontologist") There has been no death in my knowledge of self, (I just like Dick's writing) rather an acute awareness of how we change and are changing. We are, paradoxically, the same person we have always been while undergoing a gradual metamorphosis that makes it sometimes hard to relate what we were to we are now. I guess this is a round about way of saying I wanted a fresh start.

No comments:

Post a Comment